View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daraugh
Officer
Rook

re: Treehouse =/= Housetree

So about two months ago, a 150 year old hickory fell over in a windstorm gust. It landed smack on the front of our house, creating the undesirable housetree. Not nearly so nice as the opposite, as any Elf will agree.

Forum Image

The tree was 150 years old, about 70 feet tall and we figured the weight based on the mass of hickory to be around 88,000 lbs. Fortunately the chimney absorbed nearly all of the shock. There's some arm-sized holes in the roof that are still tarped and waiting on the roofer. Some of the ceiling joists are cracked and there's ceiling damage inside. Brick was driven into ground as much as 6 inches deep and there's shattered brick *everywhere*. It was freezing that day, April in Michigan ugh, and snowing/raining by the time the tree guys got there. I was about six weeks pregnant and my comfy chair is by the right-hand window that the tree is leaning over. I was right under it when it hit. <shudder> Thal got a surprising call from me: "You need to come home, there's a tree on the house!! No really, it's *on* the house!"

The odd part: We learned that there's some very active underground drainage in sandy soil that ate away at the root system. Every year it leafed out and even dropped hickory nuts. It was the last tree we ever thought would fall.

The bad part: Holes in the roof, the front yard was an utter mess with 300 lb chunks of hickory in huge piles. The rock retaining wall in the front garden was broken to bits when the tree guys got the tree on the ground. There's at least 800 lbs of tree stump left, everyone has suggested dynamite but I dunno...

The good part: So much sunshine in the front garden we planted a bunch of new roses! Our neighbor's son has a house that's heated by a woodburning furnace and he took every bit of hickory he could and we have firewood to last for years. Plus a brand new chimney, rock wall, new seeding in the front yard and all the tree and tree removal damage is covered by insurance. My old Jeep took the brick and tree hits and our little bitty Scion IQ escaped intact. No more Jeep, yay! Hehe, I also met a lot of neighbors I'd never met before. Everyone was safe, me and our player 3 (due for release in November ;) ), all the cats and no one got hit by brick or anything.

So in conclusion, a Treehouse is desirable, but a Housetree is just one more reason to have a nice Hobbit burrow safe under a Hill. Happy

Wow. really glad you guys are ok.
Theydrid
Officer
Rook

wow, that was a near miss looks like the chimney took most of the impact. I'm glad you're getting it cleaned up.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mormegil Legacy Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: